Squarespace 5 is our legacy platform from 2012. Although we still support Squarespace 5, fixing bugs or issues is a lower priority for us while we focus on our current platform, Squarespace 7.
This guide is a list of known issues that you may come across when editing your Squarespace 5 site. Our engineers aren't currently working on these issues. Wherever possible, we've included troubleshooting steps or alternate suggestions.
Import failure when moving to Squarespace 7
If you see a “Failure” message when importing Squarespace 5 content to your Squarespace 7 site, try importing again using your account name to log in, rather than your URL.
Your account name is the first part of your Squarespace 5 URL. For example, if your full Squarespace URL is http://yoursite.squarespace.com, enter yoursite.
If the import fails after using your account name to log in, contact us.
Editor or configuration window won't open
The configuration window and Squarespace 5 editors sometimes won't load on Google Chrome or Safari. This can occur:
- If you're in Structure Mode and click Configure This Page.
- In places like Manage Comments, Manage Posts, and File Storage. When you click Edit in these areas, you’ll see a “Content Editor is loading…” notification, but the editing box doesn’t appear.
If you're experiencing issues editing content for your Squarespace 5 site, try these steps:
- Disable browser add-ons or extensions.
- Use Firefox or an alternative browser.
- Work through the troubleshooting steps in I can't edit my site.
Site redirects to a "widgetserver" URL
This is usually caused by custom code on your site.
If this issue is preventing you from logging in, contact us.
Markdown content doesn't appear
On some sites, content added in Markdown view doesn't render on HTML pages and blog posts. This makes the pages and posts look empty.
If this is happening, add content using the Raw HTML or WYSIWIG views instead.
File uploads are stalling or looping
Sometimes when uploading files, the file will get to 100%, then either start over or display an error message. If you see this:
- Ensure your file follows our file requirements.
- Ensure images are formatted for the web.
If this doesn't resolve the issue, try our general file upload troubleshooting steps.
Gallery images resize themselves
Sometimes on Squarespace 5, gallery images resize automatically to a larger size.
This occurs at random to some images. You can continue uploading images to existing galleries and create new galleries, but some of your images may resize themselves.
Some customers have found that reducing the gallery's maximum width resolves this. Since the maximum width can't be changed after it's set, create a new one by following these steps:
- Create a new Picture Gallery page.
- Enter Content Mode.
- Click Create A New Picture Gallery.
- Give your gallery a title.
- Type in a size smaller than the default 1200 pixels. For example, you could set it to 800 pixels.
- Click Save & Close.
If galleries are an important part of your site, consider moving to a newer version of our platform. Squarespace 7 has many beautiful options for displaying images and videos.
Can't upload images to a Picture Gallery
The Select Files button sometimes doesn't work in Chrome or Mozilla Firefox browsers if Flash is enabled.
If you're seeing this issue, either temporarily disable Flash in your browser, or switch to the Safari browser.
Tip: For Chrome, visit chrome://settings/content/flash to disable Flash.
Site search returns no results
If search results on your site appear blank when you know there should be one or more results:
- Delete and re-add the search page or widget, then test again.
- If there are still no results, change the order to Natural Ordering, then test again.
"Squarespace Statistics Unavailable" message
On some sites, the Subscribers data in Statistics shows an error message.
Unfortunately, there aren't any troubleshooting steps we've found helpful for this issue. If tracking RSS subscribers is important for your site, consider moving to Squarespace 7, our current platform, which has detailed RSS Subscriber Analytics.