Squarespace 5 supports several methods for exporting your site content:
- Text - Download all the text from your site by creating a Data Snapshot. This is useful for keeping a backup of your site's content.
- Blog pages - Export your blog posts in an MT compatible format, which can be imported to most blog systems on the web.
- Custom styles - Save your custom styles and use them on another Squarespace 5 site.
- Transfer data to Squarespace 7 - Squarespace 7 has a built-in interface to transfer content from a Squarespace 5 site.
Moving content to Squarespace 7
If you’re moving to Squarespace 7, you can import blogs, pages, comments, and galleries directly to your new site. For help, visit Moving from Squarespace 5 to Squarespace 7.
Data Snapshots for exporting text
Data Snapshots export all your site's text as an .xml file. This allows you to create a backup of your site's text, which you can download to your computer for safe keeping.
Data Snapshots have certain limitations:
- The structure of the site itself, such as layouts and widgets, won't be included in the file.
- Data Snapshots are meant for data export only. It's not possible to revert your site to its backup or import the snapshot into another site.
To create a Data Snapshot:
- Open your Website Management bar and click Data Snapshots under Data and Media.
- Select Create Snapshot.
- Select Text Snapshot and click Queue Snapshot Creation.
We’ll contact the email address on file for your site when your Data Snapshot is complete. The length of time it takes to create a Data Snapshot depends on how much content your site has. Check your email inbox’s spam folder if you haven't received a link your Data Snapshot within 24 hours.
Click the link in the email to access the Data Snapshots area of your site. Here, you’ll see your Data Snapshot name, the file size, and a Remove option.
Click the Data Snapshot name to save the .xml file to your computer.
Exporting blog data
You can export Journal Pages in a Movable Type (MT) compatible format, suitable for importing to most blog systems on the web.
While in Structure mode, click Configure this page to open your page’s settings. Scroll down to the Data Export section and click Export Blog Data to download the .txt file of your blog page.
Your file size and download time depends on the number and length of your blog posts.
Note: Tags aren't included in the export file.
Exporting custom styles
You can export a custom style to use on another Squarespace 5 site.
Note: Custom style exports will only upload to another Squarespace 5 site.
While in Style mode, hover over your custom style in the Templates and Styles tab and click the Export link.
To import, log into the Squarespace 5 site that you'd like to add the style to. Open the Style manager and click Import Style in the bottom-left corner.
Exporting images and files
To manually export images and files that have been added to your file storage, go to your Website Management bar and click File Storage under Data & Media. Right-click (or press Option and click on a Mac) any file to download it.
In Squarespace 5, you can download files from file storage one at a time. To bulk-download files, you can use third-party software or browser extensions like Chrono Download Manager (Chrome) or DownloadThemAll (Firefox). Note that since these are third-party services, they fall outside of the scope of Squarespace support.