You can use the blog importer to import (copy) blog posts and their content to your Squarespace 5 site from Blogger, Movable Type, TypePad, and WordPress.
To open the blog importer, open the Website Management bar and click Blog Importer under Data & Media.
We have guides for each platform:
Watch a video
Tips for success
- Import content before connecting custom domains - If you're using a custom domain for your blog, don't connect the domain to your Squarespace 5 site until your content has imported. If you do, certain content won't import correctly. Once you've imported your content, test your link redirects before connecting your custom domain.
- Use the main URL - When entering the URL for the blog you're importing, add the URL that visitors use to visit the blog on the web. This might be a custom domain, like yourcoolblog.com, or it could be a subdomain like yourcoolblog.wordpress.com.
Blogs with multiple authors
If you have multiple authors in your original blog and want to carry these over, ensure your billing plan supports member accounts.
Before importing your site, create an account for each author. The author names should match the display names in Member Accounts.
Test redirected links before connecting your domain
After importing your blog, ensure your links are working correctly before connecting your custom domain. If you chose to redirect URLs during the import process:
- Go to your original blog and find the URL for one of your blog posts. Example:
- Copy everything after the TLD extension (such as .com). Example:
- Paste this after your built-in URL and press Enter. Example:
- The URL should redirect to the new URL on your site. Example:
If these redirects aren't working, or if you didn't choose to redirect during the import process, you can set up 301 redirects manually.
When you're comfortable with how the redirects work, connect your domain to your Squarespace 5 site.
Can I sync content between Squarespace 5 and another platform?
No. Importing adds a copy of content from an external source to your Squarespace 5 site. It doesn't create a sync between these two sites. We recommend importing if you plan to continue using this content only on Squarespace 5.
Can I import entries from RSS?
No. Instead, import an .xml file (Blogger, Movable Type, TypePad, WordPress), or use our built in web importer (Blogger and Wordpress only).
Tip: The RSS Widget can display RSS feeds in your sidebar.
Can I use an XML-RPC blogging client to post to Squarespace 5?
Yes. Use these settings to set this up with your blogging client:
- Protocol/Provider - metaWeblogAPI
- URL - http://www.squarespace.com/process/service/PostInterceptor
- Login name - Use your site's built-in URL, such as http://accountname.squarespace.com/
- Password - Your owner account password
- Blog ID - If your blogging client asks for this, we recommend letting them auto-detect these settings from the RSD file we publish.
Note: This option is outside the scope of Squarespace support.
Can I import from Dreamweaver or Frontpage?
We don't recommend using third-party web development tools like Dreamweaver or Frontpage to build a site or pages. Because these programs don't organize content the way Squarespace 5 does, you won't be able to import this content to your site.
You can manually import HTML directly to a page, but you may need to use custom code to achieve the look you want. We recommend you use the built-in options to build your Squarespace 5 site instead.
Note: Adding code to your site is an advanced modification that falls outside of the scope of Squarespace support.