Secure Sockets Layer, or SSL, is used to encrypt information transferred throughout the Internet. SSL allows visitors to navigate a website and submit information through a secure connection.
On Squarespace 5:
- Logging into your site is always protected by SSL.
- On the Unlimited billing plan, you can enable SSL for certain areas for your member accounts.
- It isn't possible to install custom SSL certificates.
Before you begin
- If you're seeing security or privacy warnings in your browser, visit our troubleshooting guide.
- If you're collecting money through a third-party service, contact your service provider for information about their payment processing security.
On the Unlimited billing plan, you can enable SSL protection for the login and administrative areas that members access when they log into your Squarespace 5 site.
- In the Website Management bar, click Website Settings.
- Click Security.
- In the Traffic Encryption drop-down, choose Strong Security (Always Encrypted).
Note: To switch plans, visit Changing your billing plan.
Unlike Squarespace 5, our newest platform, Squarespace 7, offers free SSL certificates for all Squarespace Domains and third-party domains connected to a site. With SSL enabled automatically, your visitors can access a constant, secure connection on every page of your site. Using SSL displays a lock icon next to your URL in the browser address bar, showing visitors that the connection is secure.
If SSL is important for your site, we recommend switching to Squarespace 7. To get started, you can start a free trial. Then when you're ready, you can move your site's content to your new Squarespace 7 site.