Traffic Overview lists usage statistics and metrics for your Squarespace 5 site. This data is updated roughly every 15 minutes.
To open Traffic Overview:
- Log into your site.
- Open the Website Management bar.
- Click Traffic Overview under Statistics.
Traffic Overview shows a line chart of your hits, including page views and unique visitors, with additional information below. You can filter results by Hourly, Daily, Weekly, and Monthly.
- Hourly - Site traffic by hour for the last 24 hours
- Daily - Site traffic by day for the last 30 days
- Weekly - Site traffic by week for the last 3 months
- Monthly - Site traffic by month for the last year
Traffic is broken into three categories.
- Visits - Continuous browsing events on your site with no more than a 30-minute break between interactions. Visits are a good measure of attention on your site as they correlate with a single browsing session and are frequently used in marketing applications.
- Audience Size - Often called Unique Visitors, an estimate of the total number of actual visitors that reached your site in the set time frame. This can be a good measure of your loyal audience and readership. It's tracked via a browser cookie, which is set when a visitor first accesses a website. The cookie has a lifespan of two years.
- Page Views - Every page hit on your site that loads completely.
More Squarespace 5 statistics
Use the other options in the Statistics column of the Website Management bar to explore:
- Referrers - The links that visitors clicked to access your site.
- Popular Content - The most frequently visited pages on your site.
- Subscribers - The number of unique IPs visiting your RSS feed or feeds.
- Search Queries - The search engine keywords that visitors used to find your site.
- Detailed Activity - A list of visitors and their activity on your site.
For additional information about your site traffic, you can connect your site to Google Analytics.
Once you've signed up for an account, click Get Tracking ID and copy the Website Tracking code.
Tip: If you've already signed up for an account, click Admin, then click the + next to Your Site Title. Add your website's information to the fields, and click Get Tracking ID.
Paste this code in the Extra Header Code field for your site's Code Injection area.
Take a look at the code. If the second line starts with <script async src= delete the src so that the line starts with <script async= instead
Then click Update Information.
Google Search Console
Google Search Console is a free service that helps you manage your site's presence in Google search results. Through Google Search Console, you can request that Google index your site, meaning changes you've made will show up in search results sooner. To learn more, visit Verifying your site with Google Search Console.
Squarespace 7.0 comparison
Our current platform, Squarespace 7.0, has more sophisticated metrics options, including:
- Mobile usage
- RSS subscribers
- Referral sites
- Search queries
- Sales overview
- Abandoned checkout
Squarespace 7.0 also has a built-in integration with Google Analytics.
To learn more, visit the Squarespace 7.0 help site. If you're ready to make the switch, visit Moving from Squarespace 5 to Squarespace 7.0.