If you purchased a domain from Dyn or Nettica, you can use it for your Squarespace 5 site by following a process called domain mapping. This process includes changing a few settings in your Dyn account, which will tell the domain where to point.
To follow this guide, you should already have an active domain with Dyn. Once you connect your domain by following the steps in this guide, you must leave it registered with Dyn to keep it connected to your Squarespace 5 site.
Note: This guide was written in 2015, and Dyn's interface may have changed. For a more recent guide with general steps, visit Connecting a domain to your Squarespace 5 site.
Before you begin
- Nettica was acquired by Dyn. If you purchased your domain with Nettica and already connected it to your Squarespace site, you don't need to take any action.
- Before following the steps in this guide, review our requirements for connecting a third-party domain.
Step 1 - Log into Dyn
Go to www.dyn.com and log into your account. Click My Zones/Domains.
Then click Dyn Standard DNS Service.
Step 2 - Add the CNAME Record
Click Add Alias (CNAME).
Tip: If you already have a CNAME set up, click your domain name to the left of Alias (CNAME) to edit it.
Then follow these steps:
- In the Hostname box, enter www.
- Add ext5-cust.squarespace.com next to Alias to.
- Click Create Record to save your changes.
Step 3 - Add the A Records
Click Add Hostname.
Tip: If you already have A Records set up, click your domain name to the left of A-Record to edit them.
Then follow these steps:
- Ensure Host with IP address is selected.
- Add 22.214.171.124 next to IP Address.
- Click Create Host to save your changes.
Repeat this process three more times using the following values:
Step 4 - Link your domain
After setting up your CNAME and A Record settings with Dyn, link the domain to your site.
- Log into your Squarespace 5 site.
- Open the Website Management bar and click Custom Domain under Structure.
- Click Link Domain.
- Enter your custom domain.
- Click Add.
If all records are entered correctly, your domain will connect to your site within 24 hours. At times, it can take up to 72 hours to connect. We have more information about this on our Squarespace 7 help site.
While you wait, you can check your domain’s progress across the Internet by using Whatsmydns.net. Until it connects, you'll see one of these two warnings:
When your Dyn domain is correctly linked, it will appear in the Domains list.
Step 5 - Set domain display preferences (optional)
When you link a domain to your site, both the www domain version (e.g. www.yourdomain.com) and non-www domain version (e.g. domain.com) are automatically included.
Click the Toggle WWW link next to the domain to display the version you prefer.