If you purchased a domain from GoDaddy, you can connect it to your Squarespace 5 site by following the steps in this guide. The domain mapping process includes changing a few settings in your GoDaddy account, which will tell the domain where to point. You may also find GoDaddy's guide helpful as you work on the connection.
Note: Before you begin, review our requirements for connecting a third-party domain.
Step 1 - Log into GoDaddy
Open a new browser window or tab to access your GoDaddy account:
- Go to www.godaddy.com and log in to your account.
- Under Domains, find the domain you're connecting and click DNS.
Step 2 - Add the CNAME Record
In your GoDaddy domain's DNS panel, add a new CNAME record:
Note: If you already see a CNAME (Alias) record with a host of www, click the pencil icon to edit the Points To box rather than adding a new record.
- Click Add at the bottom of the Records section to create the new record.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select CNAME.
- In the Host field, enter www
- In the Points To field, enter ext5-cust.squarespace.com
- Leave the TTL at the default setting.
- Click Save.
Step 3 - Add the A Records
Create four A Records in your GoDaddy domain's DNS panel:
- Click Add at the bottom of the Records section.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select A.
- In the Host field, enter @
- In the Points To field, enter 184.108.40.206
- Leave TTL at the default setting.
- Click Save.
Repeat this process three more times using the following values in the Points To field:
Step 4 - Link your domain
After setting up your CNAME and A Record settings with GoDaddy, link the domain to your site:
- Log into your Squarespace 5 site.
- Open the Website Management bar and click Custom Domain under Structure.
- Click Link Domain.
- Enter your custom domain.
- Click Add.
Step 5 - Wait for the connection to complete
If all records are entered correctly, your domain will connect to your site in 24-72 hours. To learn more about the connection time, visit Why domain updates take up to 72 hours on our Squarespace 7 help site.
While you wait, you can check your domain’s progress by using Whatsmydns.net. Until it connects, you may see "Domain not resolving" warnings.
When your GoDaddy domain is correctly linked, it will appear in the Domains list.
Step 6 - Set domain display preferences (optional)
When you link a domain to your site, both the www domain version (e.g. www.yourdomain.com) and non-www domain version (e.g. domain.com) are automatically included.
Click Toggle WWW to display the version you prefer.