You can link to any page, file, email address, phone number, or other content in many areas of your Squarespace 5 site.
Watch a video
Where you can add links
You can add links to almost any part of your site:
- Text - Create a hyperlink almost anywhere you can add text.
- Navigation - Create your site's navigation structure with links to your pages.
- Images - Turn an image into a link.
Add a text link
In a page or post editor:
- Highlight the text you'd like to turn into a link.
- Click the Insert Link button. The icon looks like a chain link.
- Add the link. See our formatting tips in the rest of this guide, including how to add links to other websites, pages on your site, or downloadable files.
- In the More Options tab, you can format the link with special options.
- Click Save & Close.
Edit or delete a text link
To edit a link you've added to your site, open the page or post editor, and click the link. In the annotation that opens:
- Click Edit to change the URL or link properties.
- Click Remove to remove the link, but leave the text.
You can also delete all linked text to remove the text link and the text.
In the More Options tab:
- Link Description - Add text that appears when visitors hover over the link.
- Open Link In New Window - When visitors click the link, it will open in a new tab.
- Show Offsite Indicator - Add an icon next to the link to show it links to another website.
Here's how the description text and offsite indicator will look on your site:
Link to external websites
To link to another website, add its URL to the Direct URL field. Ensure you include the full URL, including http:// or https://
Link to pages on your site
There are two ways to link text to a page on your site.
Tip: Create navigation links in your site's Architecture area.
Option 1 - Your Webpages tab
In the Your Webpages tab, click the page you want to link to.
Option 2 - Link to the slug
In the Direct URL tab, add the page slug between two / characters:
Link to files or images
In the Your Files tab, click the file or image you want to link to your text. When a visitor clicks the link, the file or image will download to their computer.
You can also add a new file in the Upload A File tab.
Tip: If you change the name of a file, you'll need to manually update the file link.
Link to an email address
In the Direct URL tab enter mailto: followed by an email address, without any spaces.
Link to a telephone number
In the Direct URL tab enter tel: followed by a phone number, without any spaces. If the number includes a country code, add tel:+ followed by the phone number.
Add a list of links as a page or widget
For a built-in option, you can add a Links page or sidebar widget.