Some people have a Squarespace 7 site with a billing account that's linked to a Squarespace 5 site. This guide explains the options and restrictions for these linked sites.
Note: It's no longer possible to link a Squarespace 7 site's billing to a Squarespace 5 site.
Do I have a linked site?
You may have a linked site if you meet all of these points:
- You were a Squarespace 5 customer in 2012.
- You received a free Squarespace 6 site as part of our new platform launch.
- Your Squarespace 6 site converted to Squarespace 7.0 in 2014.
To check if your site is linked:
- Log into your Squarespace 7 site.
- In the Home menu, click Settings.
- Click Billing & Account.
- Click Billing.
- At the top of the Billing panel, a message will appear that says: "This site is included with your Squarespace 5 membership."
Linked sites don't support official integrations that require a credit card on file. For example:
- Getty Images
- Google Workspace
For linked sites, you have access to the two Squarespace 5 billing plans:
- Standard - This sets your Squarespace 7 site to the legacy Personal plan.
- Unlimited - This sets your Squarespace 7 site to the legacy Professional plan.
On a linked site, Commerce features in the Squarespace app aren't supported.
Linked sites don't support some Premium features, including:
- Abandoned cart recovery
- Customer accounts
- Facebook Pixel
- Purchase funnel analytics
- Revenue tracking in traffic sources
- Sales by product analytics
- Zapier integration
Linked sites include a free Squarespace domain on the annual billing plan.
To add more domains, you can:
- Register a new domain through Squarespace.
- Purchase a domain from a third-party provider and connect it to your site.
Visit Domains basics on our Squarespace 7 help site for more help with each of these options.
Unlink your site to get more access
To access all Squarespace 7 features, unlink your site from Squarespace 5.
Unlinking a site is permanent and can't be reversed. After unlinking a site, you can’t re-link it to any other sites, including the site it was originally linked to.
Watch a video
Unlink your site
To unlink your site:
- In the Home menu, click Settings, and then click Billing & Account.
- Click Billing.
- Under Unlink Website, click Unlink Squarespace 5 Website Billing. Then click Unlink Website in the warning message to confirm.
Your Squarespace 7 site immediately reverts to trial status. It will expire in 14 days if you don't upgrade to a paid hosting plan.
Cancel Squarespace 5 billing (optional)
When you're ready to exclusively use your Squarespace 7 site, cancel your Squarespace 5 billing to avoid paying for two sites simultaneously.
- Log into your Squarespace 5 site and click Website Management, then click Billing & Account.
- Click Cancel Account, then enter your password.
- Confirm by entering the word "CANCEL" and clicking Cancel Account.
For more details, visit Canceling and deleting a site.
My linked site expired
If your Squarespace 5 billing plan expires:
- Your Squarespace 7 site reverts to a 14-day trial.
- Once you reactivate your Squarespace 5 site, your Squarespace 7 site will reactivate automatically. This process usually takes 24 hours.
- If you need more time while you reactivate your Squarespace 5 site, you can extend your Squarespace 7 site's trial period.
- If you're not planning to reactivate your Squarespace 5 site, you can upgrade your Squarespace 7 site to paid service.