Some users have a Squarespace 7.0 site with a billing account that's linked to a Squarespace 5 site. This guide explains the options and restrictions for these linked sites.
Note: It's no longer possible to link a Squarespace 7.0 site's billing to a Squarespace 5 site.
Do I have a linked site?
You may have a linked site if you meet all of these points:
- You were a Squarespace 5 customer in 2012.
- You received a free Squarespace 6 site as part of our new platform launch.
- Your Squarespace 6 site converted to Squarespace 7.0 in 2014.
To check if your site is linked:
- Log into your Squarespace 7.0 site.
- In the Home Menu, click Settings.
- Click Billing & Account.
- Click Billing.
- At the top of the Billing panel, you'll see a message that says: "This site is included with your Squarespace 5 membership."
Linked sites don't support official integrations that require a credit card on file. For example:
- Getty Images
- G Suite by Google
For linked sites, you have access to the two Squarespace 5 billing plans:
- Standard - This sets your Squarespace 7.0 site to the legacy Personal plan.
- Unlimited - This sets your Squarespace 7.0 site to the legacy Professional plan.
On a linked site, the Commerce App isn't supported.
Linked sites don't support some Premium features, including:
- Abandoned Cart Recovery
- Customer Accounts
- Facebook Pixel
- Purchase Funnel Analytics
- Revenue tracking in Traffic Sources
- Sales By Product Analytics
- Zapier integration
Linked sites include a free Squarespace Domain on the annual billing plan.
To add more domains, you can:
- Register a new domain through Squarespace.
- Purchase a domain from a third-party provider and connect it to your site.
Visit Domains basics on our Squarespace 7.0 help site for more help with each of these options.
Unlink your site to get more access
To access all Squarespace 7.0 features, unlink your site from Squarespace 5.
Unlinking a site is permanent and can't be reversed. After unlinking a site, you can’t re-link it to any other sites, including the site it was originally linked to.
Watch a video
Unlink your site
To unlink your site:
- In the Home Menu, click Settings, and then click Billing & Account.
- Click Billing.
- Under Unlink Website, click Unlink Squarespace 5 Website Billing. Then click Unlink Website in the warning message to confirm.
Your Squarespace 7.0 site immediately reverts to trial status. It will expire in 14 days if you don't upgrade to a paid hosting plan.
Cancel Squarespace 5 billing (optional)
When you're ready to exclusively use your Squarespace 7.0 site, cancel your Squarespace 5 billing to avoid paying for two sites simultaneously.
- Log into your Squarespace 5 site and click Website Management, then click Billing & Account.
- Click Cancel Account, then enter your password.
- Confirm by entering the word "CANCEL" and clicking Cancel Account.
For more details, visit Cancelling and deleting a site.
My linked site expired
If your Squarespace 5 billing plan expires:
- Your Squarespace 7.0 site reverts to a 14-day trial.
- Once you reactivate your Squarespace 5 site, your Squarespace 7.0 site will reactivate automatically. This process usually takes 24 hours.
- If you need more time while you reactivate your Squarespace 5 site, you can extend your Squarespace 7.0 site's trial period.
- If you're not planning to reactivate your Squarespace 5 site, you can upgrade your Squarespace 7.0 site to paid service.